Sunday 21 April 2019

Dairy free rusk biscuits

I wanted to make some biscuits for Easter but I had to be mindful that G is allergic to dairy. I had a look around online to see what I could find but most recipes asked for ingredients that weren't readily available. 

Instead, I decided to just make it up as I went along, hoping for the best! 

Recipe:

170g self raising flour
85g soft brwn sugar
100g sunflower spread (or any dairy free alternative to butter)
2tblsp maple syrup
2tblsp oat milk (or any dairy free alternative to butter)
1tsp vanilla extract
1tsp cocoa powder 

Cream the butter and sugar together using a medium setting on your mixer. Fold in the sifted flower. Add the milk and whisk briskly. Stir in the maple syrup, cocoa powder and vanilla extract until sticky. 

If the mixture is too dry, add a bit more milk. If the mixture is too wet, add a bit more flour. 

Grease a baking tray with sunflower spread and drop a heaped teaspoon of cookie mixture in blobs spaced approximately one inch apart. (This allows the biscuits to take their own shape).

Bake in the middle of the oven at 170ยบ for 15 minutes. When you take the biscuits out, they should be soft but not squidgey. 

Leave them on the baking tray for 10 minutes to harden then flip them over and allow the other side to harden too. 

Enjoy! 




These biscuits tasted like Farley's Rusks. I imagine that is down to the specific ingredients used. If you use other dairy free alternatives, I cannot guarantee they will taste the same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment