Tuesday 17 December 2019

Ramen

It's been a while since I've put up a recipe. Since moving onto the boat, I haven't really cooked "proper" food!

I am a HUGE fan of Wagamama and I ALWAYS order the Wagamama Ramen. Much as I love the dish, the broth leaves a lot to be desired. So I decided I would make a vegan based ramen that could be topped with whatever one desires! (Chicken and tea stained egg please!)





To start, I made the tea stained eggs. I boiled the eggs for 7 minutes so the whites whites were nice and firm. Then I bashed each egg a few times with the back of a spoon - just enough to crack the shell.  Next, I made the tea. I used half a litre of water, two English Breakfast Tea teabags, two star anise pods, 2 tablespoons of dark soy sauce, one table spoon of cinnamon and 4 clove buds. I marinated the eggs for 60 minutes in just-boiled tea and then brought the tea back to the boil then simmered for 5 minutes. The result was a beautifully marbled, hard boiled egg.

Once your eggs are sorted, you will want to sort out whatever other toppings you will be adding. I oven cooked a seasoned chicken breast which I then sliced before serving.






Next, onto the broth. It was really important for me to get a decent amount of flavour in the broth. I made enough for 4/5 portions so you might wish to adjust your recipe:

2l vegan stock
4 garlic cloves - sliced 
2in piece of ginger - grated
2tbsp tahini
4tbsp dark soy sauce

Bring the stock to a nice rolling boil, add the rest of the ingredients and turn down to a medium simmer. Let that simmer for a good 10 minutes to infuse the favours then strain out the bits. Add 200g shitake mushrooms and 3 heads of pak choi (you may wish to chop the pak choi - I decided not to) and a hand full of white spring onion. Simmer the stock again until the pak choi has wilted slightly. Whilst that is simmering, gently fry 250g beansprouts in vegetable oil and add ready cooked rice noodles. Coat the noodles in oil then pour in the stock. Give everything a good mix and then serve. 

As well as the chicken and the egg, I had raw carrot, spring onion greens and crushed peanuts on top of my bowl. 



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment